Monday, December 17, 2007

Mid training funk...

I'm just not in the mood to run these days. I went to see my shoe guy on Thursday to see about new shoes. He put me in Asics Gel Nimbus. I was meant to run 17 miles on Friday but after I talked to Randy (aforementioned shoe guy), he said my training plan is ancient and I should look into the FIRST training plan. He printed out the plan for me and I had a look at it. I liked it not only because I'm only running 3 days a week but also because it only has me doing the 20 mile run once.

So, Friday I was meant to get out and do 12, according the *new* schedule. My oldest ended up staying home from school because she was sick so I got *nothing* done. Saturday morning I got up early and headed out for the 12 miles. I got to 1.5 and stopped. I just wasn't in the mood to run. I pushed myself and kept going. Stopped again at 2.5. At this point, I decided to call Todd and have him come pick me up because the wind was blowing, my eyes were watering and I was just feeling like crap. He didn't answer so I kept going. I ended up sitting down on the curb at 3.5 miles and tried to mentally force myself to turn around and get the 3.5 done. I started out and just couldn't do it. I was near tears because I was so very disappointed in myself. I called Todd and asked him to come pick me up but I kept going, miserable the entire time. I hit the 5 mile mark and saw him pulling up next to me. I was never so happy to see his car:)

I got home and mentally tore myself to shreds. Why couldn't I run 12 when I just did 15 last weekend? I ended up taking Sunday off as well due to 45 mph wind gusts and low temps. So I pumped myself up to get out and run this morning. I awoke to 24 degree temps with a wind chill of 20. No way. I kicked about most of the morning and decided that I would go to the school early, park the truck in line and go for a run from the school. I got out and did 5 miles and it felt good to be out running. My right hip is giving me trouble but I didn't have to stop at all. I wanted to stop but I didn't.

I'm not sure what's bugging with me. I guess I'm just run down. I'm on week 11 of my training schedule and I'm really ready for it to be done. I even discussed skipping the marathon with Todd. Even running that 5 today, I just couldn't believe I'd have to run 21 MORE on top of that. Anyway, that's me:) I'm guess I just picked a crap time to train. Also, I enjoyed my few days off a bit too much..it was very nice not having to get up and go straight into running mode.

3 comments:

Rick said...

"I'm not sure what's bugging with me. I guess I'm just run down. I'm on week 11 of my training schedule and I'm really ready for it to be done. I even discussed skipping the marathon with Todd. Even running that 5 today, I just couldn't believe I'd have to run 21 MORE on top of that. Anyway, that's me:) I'm guess I just picked a crap time to train. Also, I enjoyed my few days off a bit too much..it was very nice not having to get up and go straight into running mode."

Marion, if you need words of encouragement, I can do that. However, it sounds as though you need to make up your mind whether or not you want to do this thing, or not, at this point.

My take just from what I know about you from RA, your training, races, and blogs... you're one highly motivated individual, with high standards and goals, high achieving, tough, determined, inspiring, intelligent and creative woman that has put a lot into this endeavor already. You can squander the efforts you have put into this to date at this point and try again at another date or, you can tough it out and ROCK this race like I KNOW you can.

You're accomplishments in the last couple of years are monumental, Mar, and it would take a super-human super-hero not to be burned out to a degree at this point.

All I'm sayin' is, you've put a lot into this to this point and I KNOW you can see this through if you CHOOSE too. Either way, race or not, you are a rockin' success with all that you have done in bettering yourself and have been one of a few outstanding inspirations to me from RA. ;-)

If this were easy... everyone would do it. I pray you're able to discern what is best for you at this point and to be at peace with that decision.

ps - I hope I didn't come across as a moron. Not that that wouldn't be somewhat true to life. HEH! :-D

Anonymous said...

Cold weather, short days, little sunshine=not much motivation.

I'm feelin' ya! Just decided to sit it out a few weeks to make myself *want* it and to enjoy the holidays with the kids without pressure.

Cut yourself some slack, you'll get your mojo back!

Rick said...

Dang! I wish I could be succinct like Louise. Great advice, btw. I think I would take it. I think somewhere in all my gibberish I was tryin' to tell you to cut yourself some slack as well. It just didn't come out so concise. (You may now right in red script on my comments... "Too Wordy") :-)