Saturday, March 1, 2008

Reedy River 10k Report

It was over before I knew it.

I ran a total of 6 miles since the marathon 2 weeks ago so I was going into this just hoping to finish without struggling. I woke up this morning at 6 thinking about not even going. I wasn't in the 'mood' to run. Also, I managed to hurt a muscle in my side, near my ribs last week. It's still smarting and hurts when I twist, etc. I kept thinking, you haven't run much of anything in the last 2 weeks and now you're going to just hop out and race 6.2 miles (thanks Rick!)? Nahh, go back to sleep.

Well, the runner in me finally perked up and I decided at 7 am to go. It was far colder this morning than I had anticipated. I was really missing the fleece vest I had to dump at the marathon. I ended up wearing capri tights and a tech jacket. I stood at the start line FREEZING.

They started off right at 9 am. The first mile felt amazing. I kept thinking to myself, this feels soooo good! Miles 2 and 3 flew by, despite the nagging in my side. That hurt muscle wasn't liking the run but I hardened up and ignored it. I didn't even realize we had made it to the halfway point until I was passing the mile 4 sign That's usually a good indication that you're having a good run. Yeah, until the beginning of mile 6. Can you say HILL?!?! Holy moly! I went from a 8:04 min/mile to 9:05 min/mile thanks to that lovely hill.

So like I said, it was done before I even knew it. 52:24 garmie time. No official time posted yet. I think the time on the clock was 52:53 when I went across the line. I was just hoping to finish. This was my first 10k so I guess it's a PR either way LOL

Oh and here's a little tip to the City of Greenville..
If you aren't going to man the parking garages with cashiers, you could at LEAST let the self pay machines accept the dollar bills in the machine OR other forms of change, other than quarters. You would not believe the line trying to get out of the garage due to people searching for quarters! Thankfully, I was able to find a nice lady about 4 cars back who changed a dollar for me. Unreal!

5 comments:

Rick said...

Nice job, girl! From out of bed and on the fence about running the race to a 52 minute finish! Way to go, Runner Girl!

I did our taxes. Woohoo. My leg feels better, but let me preface that by saying that I awoke at 6:00 a.m. to a hellacious cramp in my right calf - like I used to get in junior high when I grew 3" a summer - so, the residual pain in my calf is overpowering any pain in the bone.

Tammy got out for 4.25 miles this morning. I admit, I was very envious and wanted to join her, but tied my shoelaces together so I couldn't. :-)

Great job again! Oh, and... a 10K is 6.2 miles girlie (which I know you know, I am just giving you crap cause I'm jealous of your race). ;-)

Mar said...

Yeah, I'm an idiot:) 6.TWO Mar, 6.2!!!!!!!:)

See, told ya you aren't 41. You're still growing:)

Yay, Tammy!!! Did she enjoy her run? I bet she misses having you with her:( But good job on staying home. That would have been torture for me, too!:)

Give me crap anytime. You cracked me up:)

Jennifer said...

wtg on the race! Aren't you glad you did it? I've only ever done one 10k and it was done before I even warmed up! It certainly is fun when that's your weekly short run. :p

I can't keep up with y'alls chatter!

Mike Fox said...

Way to go!!! It's good to see that you are feeling better and back to running.

I saw your marathon report on RA and have been reading your blog. I'll be running my first full marathon on May 4.

I had a similar "it's over already feeling" when running an out-and-back 5K a few weeks after running a half marathon. At the turnaround point I looked at my watch which said 13 minutes and I thought that I may have accidentally stopped my watch somewhere along the way. After thinking about what my final 5K time would be I realized there was no mistake...it just seemed like such a short amount of time!

Good luck with training (and raising $$) for your next marathon!

Tim Wilson said...

Great race Marion! I can tell from your post how good it felt to get out there and run.... even though you weren't feeling that way before the race.

And by the way - great time!