So as you guys know, last weekend was really disheartening for me. I attempted a 15 mile run but had to stop at 13 because I just felt like crap. I had every intention of signing up for the Inaugural Columbia Marathon that weekend. I wanted to complete that 15 mile run and then sign up. Well...we all know how that run ended so I set my sights to this weekend's long run.
So of course I'm nervous heading out Sunday morning. It was colder than I had thought it was going to be (41) and the wind was whipping a little bit. I packed my blocks, Ludens throat drops and debit card in my handy Adidas tank top (love the zipper pocket in the back of this one!) and headed on out there. I intended to take a bottle of water with me but was .5 mile away from the house when I realized I had forgotten it.
I decided I'd stop around mile 6 at a gas station to get water and take some of the blocks. When I reached the gas station, I felt great and didn't really want to stop so I took the turn up HWY 14 and kept going. I reached the 8 mile mark and turned, thinking I'd be ready to stop at the 10 mile mark back at the same gas station. Mind you, I kept sucking on those Ludens drops and just didn't feel the need to do anything else, even at mile 10. My next opportunity to stop was at mile 12 and by then, I just figured I only had 4 miles to go, no need in stopping.
I made it home and saw that I had managed the 16 miles in 9:04s. I was really pleased with the pace and came running in the house to tell Dave. We decided I'd go ahead and sign up for the full in Columbia. However, something kept me from signing up yesterday. I guess I wasn't ready to commit or was waiting to see if Dave would sign up for the half or not. Thank goodness I didn't.
I had realized before that the marathon was a double loop. That itself made me a bit leery. I really, really dislike double loops. Shorter races, sure. But really, I like to look forward to seeing 'what's next' when I'm running a full. I sure don't want to pass a place during a grueling part of the run only to realize I'll be right back there in a while.
A friend of mine actually ran the course this weekend. When I noticed he posted about it, I had to ask him what he thought of the course. "It's pretty hilly", he said. 26.2 miles, double loop and now add hills? Yeah, no thanks. So I decided to give Columbia a pass this year.
Having said that, I've put in the training so far and I don't want it to go to waste. Dave and I started looking around and remembered...Shamrock!! Dave ran that one in 2010. So after a little schedule juggling, hotel searching, etc. , I signed up and will be running that full marathon on March 18th of this year. Yay!
I started this full with Dave in 2010 but ended up with a torn Achilles at mile 11. This is my chance to redeem myself!





No comments:
Post a Comment