Wednesday, May 21, 2008

New Vs. Old


It didn't occur to me to compare the two pair of shoes until this morning. My husband said I should take a pic of them side by side..what a good idea!:) So there ya have it. The toe box looks narrow in the new pair. Actually, the whole shoe looks more narrow than the old pair but that's to be expected.



Here's a shot of the old and new right shoe. Someone likes to run on the outside of their foot...:) Can you say supinator?? Hmm, makes me wonder if it's the uber supportive shoe causing me to roll out. All the more reason to give the Mizunos a try, hey?:)

Speaking of the Mizunos...
I did a little digging and the durability issues are typically only apparent in runners over 140lbs. As I'm a good 12-13 lbs below 140, I'm thinking they're worth a shot.
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

if you want some interesting takes on shoes follow the link on my blog to the science of sport blog and poke around in the menu, they have some real good write ups on shoes. Not that its really new but it bears to read up on it once in a while.

I could talk about this issue for quite a while, but I shall spare you :)

Rick said...

I would agree with the take on the Mizunos. I have a pair of Waverider 10's and they were great to run in, but were breaking down with after only like 200 mile son them. I must outside heel strike and roll to the inside front like you as well and the heels of the Mizunos were just getting eaten up on my shoes. Course, I am slightly heavier than you at a buff 170 pounds. Hehe. Worth a try. Tammy likes her's. She has a pair of Aspires.

I also broke down my ASICS Nimbus 8's very quickly as well. The 7's held up well (and became my *winter trainers* with over 400 miles on them), and my 2120's have held up well too, and those are what I wore in my marathon.

Ok, enough blah, blah, blahing on my shoe experiences. :)

cube1811 said...

On the mizuno's. Love them. Also have the waverider 10's. I love the arch support in these things. Just checking out this blog. Looks good. I LOVE the quote on the top. Something I think about pretty much everytime I run. I'm tired, I'm hungry, but if I run faster, I'll be done sooner.

Sam Robinson said...

Nice blog! If you think that the Gel Kayanos are rolling you to the outside of your foot or if you have been diagnosed as a "supinator" you might want to consider trying out a more neutral shoe. The Kayanos are great shoes, but they have a lot of medial support which is meant to correct over-pronation.

If you roll to the outside of your foot, notice lots of wear on the outer side of the sole of the shoes , and/or have experienced aching pains on the outside of your legs, knees and ankles then the stability of the Kayanos might be excessive for you.

Mizuno is a great brand. But then, so is asics. If you have not been fitted for a pair of shoes, I highly suggest letting a store like Fleet Feet or Run-In (both on Augusta Rd.) take a look at you while you run if you have not done so already. They can fit you to several types of shoes that will work wonderfully for you. I work at Carolina Triathlon where we also fit for running shoes, but our fitting process is a little less in depth as we are primarily a bike shop.

Thanks for writing about your experiences! See you on the road!

sam

Mar said...

Thanks, Flemming. I'll have a look at that link!:) I'm thinking the Mizunos are the way to go..

Thanks, Rick. Gonna pop up to the store today and grab 'em.

Cube, thanks for stopping by! Glad you had a good experience with the Mizunos. I'm getting excited about getting a chance to run in them:)

Sam,
Thanks for dropping by! I was actually fitted by Jeff and he suggested some Nikes which didn't really work out for me. He then put me in the Kayanos. I started having some problems so I went to see Randy and he put me in the Nimbus. However, I don't know if it was a sizing issue or that I'm just not fond of the Nimbus but I went back to my Kayanos after running the Nimbus for nearly 300 miles. I missed the cushioning in the Kayanos.

So I'm thinking the more neutral Mizuno is probably going to be my LSR shoe and the Kayano will work well for my shorter, speedwork runs. We'll see..

I truly appreciate and value your advice. I'm so glad we have a number of resources in the G'ville area for runners (and cyclists, too!).

Thanks again, Sam.