Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Funny how life works..

Running was my focus for many months. Training for Spinx last year rolled into training for Myrtle Beach which rolled into training for Greer. Finished Greer and went straight into training for San Antonio. Before I finished SA, I had every intention of getting my maniac number by running Thunder Road this coming weekend and wrapping it up with Myrtle on Valentine's Day. Funny how plans change!

Here I am nearly a month after SA and I have NO desire to run Thunder Rd. I haven't even considered registering for Myrtle. And Boston?? I'd have to start training again next week. So a month off and right back into it again. I think I might be a smidge sick of training.

I guess the heel issues come into play when making these decisions but ultimately, I miss running for fun. I miss just getting the urge to run and just going out. I don't want to print that schedule up and put it on the fridge, a constant reminder that I have to go back out there and run no matter what else I'd rather be doing. Maybe after the holidays blow through I'll be ready to commit to the schedule again.

Kids are in school, I have the entire day to myself so why shouldn't I run? Because I can't be bothered. Get up, get the clothes on, get out the door, same routes, same view- maybe I need to move:) And it's odd- right now when I need the stress relief more than ever, my main source of relaxation and comfort (running) is the last thing I want.

Anyway, so I'm not running Charlotte this weekend. Maybe I'll force myself out of the damn house and get some of this freakin' Christmas shopping done. I have 3 or 4 things purchased. I still have gifts to ship to Germany and we're 15 days out. Unreal how I lack the ability to unass myself this year. My Christmas spirit is so much NOT with me this year. I haven't baked any cookies, haven't volunteered at my kids' school for their parties, christmas cards have only just been printed, ugh. I only put up one tree this year and it was just decorated this past weekend.

Funny thing? My kids aren't particularly bugged. I think once they're out on Christmas break, my 'umph' will return. They'll be with me all day, excited about the presents, doing their own shopping- maybe they'll inspire me:)



----------------
Now playing: Stephen Fretwell - Run
via FoxyTunes

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

The products of Christmas food and spirit will help honey, and if you were closer I'd chase you too!

D.

Mar said...

Thanks, D:)
I hope in a few days it'll all kick in. How are you doing??

Chase me? You run far too fast to be chasing me! LOL

CTBamaFan said...

I think we all go through it, but you "hard core" runners even more so. You have spent so much time dedicated to your training that you need that mental and physical break. Take the time you need to heal physically. It won't be long and you'll be WANTING to go back out on those roads, for fun, not to follow a rigid training plan. There will be other Boston Marathons. Take time for you, for your kids. Happy Holidays!

Anonymous said...

Enjoy the holidays. Turn up the Christmas music, sing along, bake some cookies and make some crafts. Just try and enjoy things. Know that if you don't want to run you don't have to and try to get excited about it again. Try not to think about the training, but about how good the running makes you feel and all you have accomplished this year becuse of it.

I'll let you know how Thunder Road is. Have you run it before? This will be my first time running in Charlotte.

Sherry said...

Hey Mar... I think we all go through this funk and it usually comes right after a big race. I bet if you took an extra week off before you start to train for Boston that you'd be back in good spirits. Ya know what... maybe don't run AT ALL for a good week (or even two). Instead go for a bike ride, swim... do something besides running. I bet you'll miss it enough to actually WANT to train.

If that's not the case, then maybe try to take a different approach to Boston. You already qualified, which is really the major hurdle... so maybe you can just run the race to well, run (and not race). Does that make any sense?

Happy holidays to ya!

Alan said...

Marion-
I am not for sure but I think the Elites take a month or so off every year just to recharge. I know in the early 2000's I was putting in close to 2000 miles per year and racing a ton of races at all distances. Then I hit the over trained stage and tried to push through. I had the same comments you have- "running is not a stress release anymore, it is stressful to try to run." I am still struggling with that to an extent 3-4 years later because I kept trying to push myself through the stress of running. I am finally enjoying running again!

Take some time if you need it- relax- and just go run with out any purpose or plan what so ever.

Kyler! said...

Down Time everyone needs it!

Anonymous said...

And you slowing down, even for a short while, makes us others appear faster too!!

D.

Jennifer said...

ehn. I'm with you. More so having to do with the fact that I'm injured AGAIN! so then I have to worry about training conservatively and every little twitch will freak me out.

So, I'm cleaning.

Hopefully we'll both find our mojo sooner rather than later.