Sunday, June 15, 2008

7 very sticky miles

Y'know, I've mentioned before that I'm really not a fan of the humidity. This morning when I headed out at 630, it was 72 degrees with the humidity levels at 90%. Felt ok as I stepped out my front door but when I made it up to the main road I run on, instant ick.

Usually I'm ok until about 2 miles into a run but I barely made it to 3/4 of a mile and my tank was sticking to my stomach. Could I complain about the humidity any MORE than I already do?? Oh yes, ladies and gentleman..just stay tuned. It's only gonna get worse..

So I get home from my 7 mile run and walk past the mirror in the foyer. You can see right through my red tank. Not partially, not just the 'darker' bits of the chest...no folks, I might as well have been running topless. And lemme tell ya, I probably would have been a lot more comfortable! So now starts a whole new issue, am I going to have to wear 2 shirts when I run?? I get so soaked with sweat (gross, I know) that it makes even the darker tanks see through. There's no way I can wear 2 shirts out in that muck. Girls, got any suggestions for me?

10 comments:

Zoomy said...

I wish I had some suggestions...I also don't deal well with humidity. If I'm not sweating like a horse I'm gasping for breath--usually both. I hate having to wear a heavy-duty sports bra AND a tank over it, but I don't wanna show off my mom-gut. Guys are so lucky...I'd kill to be able to run shirtless.

Is it Fall, yet? Man, this is gonna be a LONG Summer. My first couple 20 milers in Aug. and early Sept. are really gonna blow. I keep praying for COOL weather.

Anonymous said...

send me an email so that I can respond to you not in the blog comments.

Mar said...

All I have is your GTC addy, Flemming..
you can get me at
justmarion at gmail dot com

Mar said...

Wow, Kirsten..20 milers in Aug. I feel for ya girl. Just think how much we'll be loving the fall weather, onl to start bitching when the winter weather hits LOL:)

Zoomy said...

Ha, ain't that the truth! I really wish there were marathons in mid-Nov. (there are, but none anywhere close-by). I think that would yield the best training conditions. I've thought a Spring marathon would be nice, but that means running some 40 mile weeks when there's still potential for some really nasty, cold, icy weather. We can't win.

:p

Placed in South Carolina said...

Um....I am curious about Flemming's response...do share!

Unknown said...

I'm relocating to Greenville next month. I'm excited to see there's a good runner community there. Definitely NOT looking forward to the humidity. I was hoping to leave all that behind in VA...good luck beating the stickiness!

Sherry said...

This post comforted me, Mar. I'm not sure if you read my blog... but my most recent post is a MUCH whinier version of your post.

As for the see-through tank prob, do you think you would feel comfy wearing a really lightweight type sports bra under the tank on days when you know it's going to be a soaker? Perhaps a bra like the one that RunningSkirts.com sells? That doesn't look like it's anything to heavy-duty or combersome.

Rick said...

I'm sorry, I'm not understanding what the problem is here?

Mar said...

Rick, you're such a man!!! LOL

That's a good tip, Sherry! Any excuse to order a new running skirt:)