Thursday, November 13, 2008

Procrastinate much?

Well, I leave tomorrow morning. As a matter of fact, this time tomorrow morning I should be on my way to the airport. Have I packed? Nah. Have I even thought about what to wear? Nah. Made my list of things to pack? Nah.

Running seems to be the last thing on my mind just now. As things start to change in my life, I find myself looking back- trying to figure out what brought on the changes, what one action caused me to choose *this* path. Before training, running used to be the time I could work through issues. I could breathe in, enjoy the peace, think about how I can get closer to my daughter, daydream about who my imaginative little boy will grow up to be, figure out what exactly it'll take to make me happy, etc. Training rolls around and it's "Right, try to sub 8:13 on these next 4 miles and see how that feels-check your gait- don't swing so wide-reel it in-are these the shoes for the race??- damn, that hurts right there, better get it checked tomorrow-what was the pace for Boston again?- Boston-Boston-Boston!" I took something that fixed my brain like an anti-anxiety medication would and made it another source of anxiety. So am I looking forward to running San Antonio this weekend? Yeah. But what I'm truly looking forward to is getting past San Antonio- getting home and finding that non-training rhythm. Going on a few runs just to remember how good it feels to run, without having pace times and finishing times floating around in my head.

I was just reading Rick's post about life and how it flies by entirely too quickly simply because we're all too busy 'living'. He's so very right. We rush to jobs we sometimes don't particularly like, then to after work activities- shuffling children from one event to the next, meeting with the ones we love ever so briefly through the day. We give more of ourselves and our lives to those that don't really deserve it. Why? Because for some reason, we've grown to *need* more. We *need* that bigger TV, we *need* that bigger house, we *need* the Wii and the Xbox and the Playstation and the multitude of portable gaming systems that accompany them. I'm guilty of allowing my children to feel that way. Anytime there's a new 'thing' for the Wii, "Oh mom, we HAVE to get that!". TVs in their bedrooms *need* updated because they are't the flat screen model that can hang on the walls, we *need* a new truck because mine is 5 years old, etc. Kids. Ever wish the information you've imprinted on their brain had actually been done with a dry erase marker? Because then when you realize that your own misguided need for 'things' has been transferred to your littles, you can grab the ol' t shirt, spit and wipe that bit away. With all that taking place, is it any wonder families aren't close anymore? We grow comfortable with the lack of one another, put it down to 'life' and that's just how it is.. So Rick, how do we get back to those Little House on the Prairie days? :)

Right, that's your bit of "thoughtful Mar" for the day. We'll blame it on Rick:)

Meant to run 7 today. Might squeeze it in this afternoon while it's pissing the rain down. I can't be bothered unassing myself at the moment, getting dressed and heading out in the dark. I'm going to lounge a bit, sip some coffee, have breakfast with my little people, drive them to school myself and just pick their little brains- maybe embarrass B a bit by dancing and singing in the car was I pull up to the school (that one always gets her!). It's funny, 3 months ago when I thought about heading out to Texas for 4 days I thought- YES! A break! Time away! It's here and y'know what? Seeing my kids crying because their Mommy is going away for 4 days is just a bit more than I can stand. I think if there weren't so many changes taking place in our home, it'd be ok. It just seems life is going to turn their little worlds upside down during the next 2 weeks and they don't need their mom buggering off to Texas. So would the person who imprinted the guilt on MY brain kindly spit on their t shirt and wipe that bit away??

8 comments:

Tim Wilson said...

Looking forward to reading about your trip and your race.

Anonymous said...

Hey Mar,

Sounds like you've been giving too much and not realised how to balance it all with some taking too. If you fulfil every family member's wants then you set a precedent that becomes their seemingly unquenchable need and in turn exhausts you. Sometimes no is a more considerate word, helping a young person to realise that not everything in life can be gained or aquired without thought and personal effort. Some choose reward based methods; a menu of chores that by the littles being able to choose from gives them a sense of personal management, but also in doing the chores helps the household. If they want then they know how to earn so as to get and in turn it instills that just asking/demanding isn't enough...

Back to the running; you do like it, it makes you even more fit, cleanses the mind, releases endorphins, caters for your competitive side, justifies even more shoes in/on/beside your wardrobe, enhances your social network and encourages this blog therapy too. So keep it up, take breaks of course, do your needlepoint and reading and baking, but keep up the running too; you know you love it!! ;-)

D.

Kyler! said...

Great post! It helps to get back to the roots of running. I think thats what happen to me when I forgot my Garmin before Spinx. Every since then I've gotten less caught up in the numbers and more focused on why I run. Because it connects me to the simplest physical activity out there! Trust yourself and trust your training and you'll walk away satisfied.

Anonymous said...

All the best beautiful! You don't need luck, just need to shift that peachy ass and pack and go! Make the kids proud and apply all the discipline you've trained for and above all find a way to enjoy it, finish with a flourish and SMILE over the finish line!

D.

Anonymous said...

Rock and Roll girl! You earned this...I am sure you will kill it!
Oh, don't forget that you are teaching the kids an invaluable life lesson. You are doing a great job.
Suz

Alan said...

Have a great race and a great time Marion.
Safe Travels!

Robert said...

Great post. I know what you mean, though with the impending changes you have coming up you are at a whole different level than I can imagine.

My son wants to throw the football every free moment he has, well every free moment after his Wii time is up for the day! My 13 year old daughter wants, well I don't really know what she wants because it changes every 5 minutes and she doesn't really want to to tell me anyway so maybe that isn't the best example! But cutting out for 1-3 hours at a time to run is hard.

However, don't underestimate the example you are setting of accomplishing a goal. This is one of the most important things we can teach our children. Showing them how to work for something and that life requires choices is a lesson that they don't get many places other than at home.

One other thing I'll leave you with... I read an article in Runners World a few months ago about pace groups. The lady leading the group in the article told her runners to divide the race up into 3 segments... Run the first 10 miles with your head, the next 10 with your legs and the last 6 with your heart.. And for each of the last 6 miles she had them focus on someone that was special to them in their marathon jouney... I write this just to point out that most of us would have a hard time narrowing that list down to just 6 people and that is a sign of how truly blessed we are!

Have a safe trip and a great race. Focus on the smiles and hugs that will greet your return rather than the tears that will send you off. And remember how cool you will look when you have to take your medal off to get through security in the airport on the way home!

Mar said...

Tim-
So good to see you!! Thanks for stopping by:)

D-
Y'know, I'm gonna say this and probably regret it but..you're right:) Thanks for your kind words and support. I really appreciate you taking the time to set my mind at ease and offer some great advice. So, thanks again:)

Kyle-
Yeah, I'm half tempted to chuck the Garmin, too but I'm addicted to data.

Suz-
Thanks!! Here's hoping everything goes off without a hitch!:) Thanks for coming by and taking the time to say hello:)

Alan-
Thanks for taking the time to leave a note! I hope things are well with you and your health. Take good care..

Robert-
You put a HUGE smile on my face. Thank you so very much for taking the time to write that.My kids seem prepared to have one less parent in the house but things change as time marches on. I suppose it's the unknown that worries me most. You're so right, the smiles and hugs waiting for me on Monday are going to be so very much worth the pain of having to leave my loves. And yeah, medal in the airport...good idea!!:)