Sunday, October 19, 2008

17 mile LSR

Ever have one of those runs when you think it's totally gonna suck? You have to run it alone, you're tired thanks to recent camping trip, it's friggin' cold outside, you don't know where your tights are, you find your tights and realize there isn't ONE bloody pocket in the things so you have to find your armband for you iPod, get that one and remember why you HATE wearing that thing so much, etc. etc.

Mile one is torture. It's cold, I don't wanna run, I want to be at my house, on my couch, reading a book and sipping coffee out of my very chunky and cute Starbucks mug. Then the sun makes its way into the sky and the music is just right on my iPod. The switch flips around the 2 mile marker and the running is smooth and dare I say it, easy. Hills, who cares. Wind?? Bring it. The next 15 miles were heavenly. I had supportive drivers today- lots of thumbs up, honking and waving. No one tried to play chicken, everyone moved into the empty lane to give me space to run..really, it's like everyone either A) got laid last night or B) the anti depressants they are taking kicked in. Even the guy at the gas station was in a good mood.

So I took Jennifer's excellent advice and messed around a bit with my times today. I tried to maintain a 8:25-8:30 pace during the bulk of my run and then kicked it up a bit the last 3 or 4 miles. Granted, my BODY didn't get into the "kicking it up" portion until the 15th mile, even though my brain said GO at the 14th. I managed to squeak out a 7:49 (meh) , a 7:28 (yippee!!) and a 7:16 on the last mile (what the hell??). My avg. pace was 8:15 for the full 17.

I have to say even though my head wasn't into it in the first 2 miles, it came around. LSRs are great for thinking, remembering and creating plans. You don't get that kind of peace anywhere else. Questions get answered, troubles seem to disappear and you just know everything is going to work out just the way it's meant to. And what did I come away with after this morning's run??

Do what makes YOU happy. There's no other option. You can't live for your kids, your parents, etc. Find what is out there that makes you jump out of bed in the morning, anxious to start the day. Don't stress about the what ifs. If you find a way to be relaxed and peaceful in yourself, everything else will just fall into place around you.

That smacks of a Jerry Springer sign off if I've ever heard one! LOL

Have a great day everyone!! I get to go bake cookies:)

----------------
Now playing: Van Morrison - Someone Like You
via FoxyTunes

2 comments:

Jennifer said...

your run sounds heavenly...literally, like all the planets were aligned and everyone gave mercury-in-retrogade the finger, haha!

wise words lady. wise.

and um BQ? there's NO question on that...but just how much are you going to blow that BQ time away!? I have no doubt you'll be with me and the 3:30 pacer.

4 weeks from today!!!! yee haw!

Mar said...

4 weeks to go..where'd the friggin' time go??! Have we really been 'in training' that long??! To be honest, I feel like I've been 'in training' mode for ages. Maybe it's the fact that it's actually coming to an end that's wiggin' me out a bit. I know, I just need to find another 26.2 to sign up for right after San Antonio! I have days when I complain about having to put in so many miles but then again, what would I do with myself if I didn't have all those miles?? Boy, tapering is going to be a real joy!!:)