Sunday, October 5, 2008

Today's LSR

After a late-ish wine and smores filled night with friends, topped off with a bit more wine after getting home, I kinda wondered if I'd truly make it out to run this morning. I told myself, I'd go out no matter what but not force myself to run the 17 if I wasn't 'feeling' it. Lemme tell ya, 7 am rolled around and I was feeling something but it wasn't running. My little man had me up a better part of the morning from about 3 am on. He was complaining of stomach pains which faded into a sore throat come 630. The only cure for said sore throat? Ice cream. Great, I have a freezer full. All of the 'light' and 'diet' variety but hey, he's 6...ice cream is ice cream. Bad news? He wants chocolate ice cream. No one else in the house eats chocolate ice cream so I rarely buy it. I tried to talk him into the vanilla with chocolate drizzled on top, no go. So here I go, off to friggin' Wal Mart in my running gear to buy chocolate ice cream and pepto bismol (in the event the sore tummy returned). The look the cashier gave me was priceless:)

Rush back home, feed the little (now very obviously faking) sick child his ice cream and finally get out for my run at 740. Now, the last time I tried to do a LSR after having a night on the sauce was a disaster. For some reason, I didn't think this time would be that way. Ha! Shows how stupid I am:) I get moving and honestly, the first mile (typically what I like to refer to as the *shit* mile because it sucks so badly) was great. I was heading down Fairview and noticed a guy running in front of me. He was a good half mile ahead but I just kept an eye on his white shirt, trying to catch him. I finally did run him down around the 3.5 mile mark and I felt a little kick in my step. I like it when I run faster than the boys. There have been too many race incidents where the men have talked their shit on the course about girls and running."Girls and running, ha!"- " So when I see a guy running, I do my best to pass 'em. It's the bitch in me and it's not something I'm actually proud of but it is what it is...

Long story not-so-short- I ran 14 of the 17. 4 hrs sleep, sore/nagging heel meant no motivation.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done Mar! Though if he was me I'd have looked over my shoulder and stepped up a gear, smirking as I imagined making you work a little harder for your prize ;-)

D.

Anonymous said...

running after "a night on the sauce".. yikes.. I'd have called the next 3 days off.

Anonymous said...

I know it goes against all logic and I'm not encouraging it as a good thing, but sometimes I run particularly well and often play a really mean game of squash on a hangover!

Mar said...

Well I guess it's a good thing I wasn't running you down, Darrell:) You'd have tired me out!

Flemming-
I took yesterday afternoon (Slept it off on the tv room floor) and today off!:) Back in the game tomorrow. I'll have to save all future 'saucing nights' for Fridays only:)

Jennifer said...

ha! I'm always on the prowl for someone to pass. mwuhahaha!

You're in my head...I had 1.5 beers (broke my ONE beer rule) on Saturday night and have had a killer migraine since. Not sure if the two are connected but GAH!

Glad you got your run in. :)

Anonymous said...

Sounds like you and Jen need to get some alcohol training in Mar! One beer and Jen is suffering??? Are all your friends so pure and unsullied?? ;-p

Mar, did you see the Great North Run results?? Check out the winning male's time!!

D.