Wednesday, October 15, 2008

HOT


It's October, officially fall here in good ol' S.C. I think someone forgot to tell the sun. I needed to take Tuesday as a rest day so that meant putting in my Tuesday run on Monday, a holiday. What holiday? Columbus Day, of course! As the hubs work for the gov't, he had the day off so kinda bummed around most of the morning, waiting entirely too long to get myself outside for the run.
So 1:30 rolls around, he's off to pick up the littles from school and I think, "Wow, great time to get my run in!" I knew it was toasty out. I even grabbed a bottle of water to take along with me (I really, really don't like holding anything when I run). That bottle was empty around mile 3. I knew the sun was strong but there was a nice breeze so it wasn't horribly hot but definitely warmer than my regular 7-8 am runs.
As I'm running yesterday, I go past a gentleman who is very obviously drunk, staggering on the side of the road with a plastic bag in his hand. In that bag you can see 3 or 4 cans of what I'm assuming is certainly not an energy drink of any kind. I quickly get past him and make my way about a half a mile down the road. I make my turn in the subdivision and start heading back, keeping an eye out for said drunk man. Suddenly, I see feet sticking out from the trees on the side of the road. As I go by, I see that Mr. Drunk-Out-Of-His-Mind decided that this was the perfect spot to refresh himself and didn't manage to stay conscious long enough to complete the task. The fact that he was drunk troubled me but what worried me the most was that it wasn't even 2pm. Kids were still in school, most people are still at work and this guy is already wrapping up the day by tying one on through lunch!
Makes you wonder what the cashier was thinking selling him even more beer when he was so very drunk already.
Oh! Times on the run..yeah they sucked. I'm no heat runner, I can tell you that. Kudos to Michael Cogdill for running in the heat and humidity every day at 130. I see that man running UP Harrison Bridge Rd nearly every day and each time I think, is he NUTS?!? After my little attempt yesterday, the answer to that is a definite YES!
Oh and one other thing..I got a friggin' sunburn. Albeit slight, it's still a burn..in October. What the hell!??!
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You're always HOT Mar!!! ;-)

D.

Mar said...

Darrell-
You sweet talker. I'd much rather have your temps right now. Pouring rain would be welcome as well...

How's the squash coming along? Whip any ass lately??

Anonymous said...

I just say what I see lady!

Squash is good and ass whipping is on! Do you play and whip too?

D.

Mar said...

"Do you play and whip too?"

Are we still talking about squash? :)

I used to play a mean game of "dodge the racquetball" but that ball stings a bit when it hits ya. I ended up with more welts on me than I cared for.

Anonymous said...

lol! You tell me Mar, I'm always open to new things :)

Jennifer, you crack me up, your humour (note the spelling!) is similar to Mar's which I love!

D.