Friday, January 25, 2008

Spirit of the Marathon..

What a *great* movie. We got to the theater about 15 mins before the movie was set to start and we were lucky to find 2 seats together. As I looked around, I saw a lot of familiar faces from the track club, running shoe stores and faces I recognized from various races around the Upstate. We grabbed our seats and settled down to watch the movie.

It was a very moving to watch 2 first timers train for their marathon. I kept thinking to myself..that's me! So many times during the movie Todd nudged me because one of the first timers echoed an emotion I've shared with him over the last 4 months.

I felt the anxiety watching them prepare the night before the race and mentally, started making a list of things I might need. I thought the idea of putting their name on the shirt was a good idea but sadly, there's not a HUGE crowd at MB in February so I think I'll forgo it.

I teared up watching the 'everyday joes' run the race. I searched for signs of pain, looks of uncertainty in their faces so I could try and pull strength from that. I need to know it's OK to run the race and feel worn out. I didn't want to watch this movie to see perfection. I wanted to see real emotion and real struggles. I wasn't let down. It made me a bit sad to think my kids are going to miss this but to be honest, I'm not sure a 9 year old and a 5 year old would really understand the enormity of it. I saw women crying as they crossed the finish line and I cried for them too. Sounds sappy but I have a very good idea as to what was going through their minds.

So the movie was definitely inspiring. I will use their stories to help get through this 20 mile run this weekend and continue to fall back on what I learned watching this movie to help me through the marathon.

Oh! New development...Todd might be biking the run with me. I spoke with a gal I run with on occasion. She ran MB a few years ago and her hubby biked next to her the whole way. I'm going to give the race coordinator a call and see if this is still ok. If so, I'll have his company the whole way. So, screw the iPod!:)

2 comments:

Rick said...

I totally felt all the same things you did during the movie, Mar. I was so anxious for the "average" runners. My stomach was doing somersaults and cartwheels! GAH!

That is SO awesome that Todd may be able to bike your race with you! I pray that works out for ya. That would be a HUGE boost to know that he would be there for the whole way with you.

It's so cold here today! :-( It's 4 degrees with a windchill of -14. :-( I don't have to run today, but I will be out in it all do doing inspections after I drop off a friend at the airport in Detroit. Just whining like the baby that I am.

Have a GREAT day, Mar! :-)

Tim Wilson said...

Good luck on the 20, and that is cool that you may have some two wheel company in the race.

I too absolutly loved the Movie. I am trying to talk a friend of mine into going in February. I think it will be more fun if I go with someone that is also a runner training for a marathon. I went by myself last night.